1. Money
Mary Bellis

The Race to Patent the Telephone

By January 26, 2012

Elisha GrayTo all whom it may concern: Be it known that I, Elisha Gray, of Chicago, in the County of Cook, and State of Illinois, have invented a new art of transmitting vocal sounds telegraphically...

In the 1870s, two inventors Elisha Gray and Alexander Graham Bell both independently designed devices that could transmit speech electrically (the telephone). Both men rushed their respective designs to the patent office within hours of each other, Alexander Graham Bell patented his telephone first. Photo LOC

Comments
January 11, 2011 at 10:48 am
(1) Keith McAvoy says:

Hi

Just wanted to say what a great site you have here.

As I photographer – there’s still tons to learn and no better place than right here on your site

Be back again soon

Thanks

Keith

January 14, 2011 at 9:38 am
(2) MUHAMMAD SAFDER ALI says:

I, Muhammad Safder Ali, A US Citizen, innovator and inventor is under attack after publication of Non-Provisional Patent Application in 2007 by US Patent and Trademark Office and WIPO – World Intellectual Property Organization, Switzerland – An Agency of United Nations. The title of my invention (Patent Pending) is “Reducing Internal Theft at A Point of Sale” and “Rental Systems for Travel Kits” both published in 2007 by USPTO and WIPO in more than 125 countires under Patent Treaty Cooperation.

I am facing extremely hostile situation, where cyber attacking, stalking and even electronic monitoring of my phone calls are done by miscreants and outlaws that led me to move to 3 US States since 2007 but without getting any relief in the situation where I have reported the matter to Local Police, Sheriff’s Office, State Police and even FBI – Chicago and Washington, DC without getting any help in the last more than 2 years.

GOOGLE SEARCH: MUHAMMAD SAFDER ALI / INVENTOR
TEL:- +1 847 599 1919

January 20, 2011 at 7:47 am
(3) Cycleboy says:

The British TV programme ‘QI’ claimed that the telephone had actually been invented by an Italian, many years before Bell. Bell only ‘stole’ the idea and got the patent.

January 27, 2012 at 6:58 am
(4) Vj2070 says:

The Italian inventor who got screwed by Mr Bell was Antonio Meucci. The US Congress actually recognized this and awarded him an official “pat on the shoulder”. Meucci invested telegraphic communication 20 years earlier than Bell.

February 4, 2012 at 1:21 am
(5) inventors says:

I respect your opinion, but I humbly do disagree.

February 2, 2012 at 12:49 pm
(6) Kim says:

How is it that Gray and Bell happen to be working on the same invention at the same time? Had their paths crossed before? Thanks.

February 4, 2012 at 1:17 am
(7) inventors says:

That inventors are working on similar ideas at the same time is not uncommon, for example in the case of car, radio, television, bicycles, and more. In fact, many inventors at the time of Bell were working on telephone type devices. We tend to give credit to the person who succeeds first.

April 24, 2013 at 4:28 pm
(8) Dorothy Margraf says:

Or, powerful people with money just outright steal the rights to an invention with potential if they can’t buy it cheaply. I saw it happen in Mokena, IL in the 1970s.

July 12, 2013 at 3:03 pm
(9) Awesomeness says:

It’s funny that all these people are ignoring the fact this man Muhammad has said that he is under attack. I’m only 17 yet sometimes I feel wiser than some older people. We know the government is corrupt and for someone to say what Muhammad says repeatedly on multiple websites is even more proof. Along with what is said on this thread about rich people stealing ideas. We have to get the word out about their corrupt governments and support victims like Muhammad claims to be. My wish is to expose those people and the fact that everything government related is either a lie or a cover up. Please help a young kid out

February 28, 2014 at 2:19 am
(10) Rawshan Iajdni says:

Safdar Ali, you are a retard. Too much flipping burgers… heh