It has been reported that this year the trend in Fathers Day gifts will be no gifts at all. Instead we will be celebrating Fathers Day with more activities: dinners, parties, fishing trips, sports events, etc.
Here are a few facts about Fathers Day.
- There are about 70.1 million dads in America
- But only about 176,000 of them are stay-at-home dads
- About 45 percent of all fathers have been divorced, 31 percent were never married, 19 percent were separated, and 5 percent were widowed
- Americans spend on average about $94.32 per gift
- About 40% of us will be doing activities to celebrate Fathers Day
- Clothing, electronics, and gift certificates are what we tend to choose as gifts
In 1939, the Savoy Ballroom in Chicago hosted the Father & Son Banquet. This colorful poster is from the American Memory collection "By the People, for the People: Posters from the WPA, 1936-1943."