1. Money
Mary Bellis

Who Invented ROFL?

By November 17, 2013

Need and laziness did. ROFL is short for Rolling On Floor Laughing and is part of our new way to communicate with phone texts, emails, and instant messages that forced us non-typists to type, type, type. And of course we soon found ways to make all that texting easier on ourselves, with our universally understood computer/texting acronyms. For example, ask me my ASL - What you expect me to write a short biographical paragraph or two? - ASFAYC ASL is WTMI (need a translation?)

Text-Messaging Championships

textingYes, it has come to that. In June of 2009, Kate Moore, a fifteen years old from Des Moines, Iowa, won the best-of-three finals round of LG's U.S. National Texting championship.  BTW did you know that fourty-two percant of teens say they can text with their eyes closed? According to a recent Wall Street JournaL article, "LG representatives said that more than 250,000 people competed this year, with online competitions testing speed and accuracy, "text-ins" during MTV programs, and live qualifying events in cities around the country." So when can this sport be expected at the Olympics, I ask?

Texting all Inventors

How are we going to save civilization from abbreviating itself into extinction? Please leave a short comment. Photo Credit: Getty Images

Comments
September 10, 2009 at 6:39 am
(1) Steve says:

cul8r!

September 10, 2009 at 2:37 pm
(2) Mary says:

CDIWY

September 14, 2009 at 8:16 pm
(3) jane says:

wat

September 17, 2009 at 1:38 pm
(4) jesse james says:

i love sheese cakes and there actualy isnt cheese in ther its wut guys only have and wut i love to be squirted in my mouth XD

September 18, 2009 at 8:57 am
(5) Emily says:

Wow thats neat

September 19, 2009 at 2:19 am
(6) Lisa says:

You are absolutely right. I also wonder why the mankind worked so hard to invent writing and we have the tendency to get back to the Stone Age. Soon we will use smoke. It’s so very sad.
I for one do not understand or am familiar with all the abbreviations.
My only hope is that it is just a phase and will soon dissapear.

October 23, 2011 at 2:19 am
(7) Richard Lord says:

To Ms. Bellis,

RE: inventors of computers.

I suggest that you read up on George R. Stibitz who developed relay based complex-arithmetic computers between 1937 and 1945. He demonstrated the first remote computation at the US Mathematics Assoc. 1939 conference at Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH.

Also, in 1975 the second most popular personal computer was the Southwest Technical Products computer kit based on the Motorola 6800 – my first computer, built in that same year.

Dick

October 26, 2011 at 3:37 am
(8) confused says:

i am dealing with a company currently , and fancy words , dealines and money seems to be highest priority , i only receive letters saying it in the project is going through the process, yet i am NOT seeing any results nor proof of it being patented or recreated from my original prototype, i m told the final poccess is licences and patent. Can anyone help me and comment on this please ?

October 27, 2011 at 3:52 pm
(9) Eileen Oakley says:

I am an old fashioned woman, I do like to write things corrctly, but even I have begun to abreviate some words when I text, which is not very often. It is very hard not to ‘come under the spell’ and abbreviate. I was amazed to read the list of abbreviations.

October 27, 2011 at 7:18 pm
(10) Bob says:

How are we to preserve our language? Make carriage of mobile phones into classrooms a flogging offence and make teaching English language language and literature compulsory from age 5 to 15. Add a couple more languages to that list, one Asian and Latin, as Latin is a root language of English.

October 27, 2011 at 10:32 pm
(11) Diane says:

I believe its all good! Take it or leave it – soon we might be using symbols :-)

October 28, 2011 at 7:22 am
(12) Scott says:

People with smartphones have much better spelling because of the auto-word functions and full keyboards.

November 1, 2012 at 2:21 pm
(13) jeff kane says:

I think they pass a u.s. wide law to ban texting and driving, its just not that important, it can wait till later

November 8, 2012 at 2:07 pm
(14) Deb Hess says:

Confused – call me at 800.468.3681 and we can talk about the process of developing a marketable product. I work for a non profit that teaches the process. Won’t try to sell you any services or marketing packages!!

November 21, 2013 at 8:29 pm
(15) Lynn says:

One way we could preserve the English language and not “abbreviate ourselves into extinction” is to use full words online rather than text and chatroom shorthand. I do both … chat and text, and have NEVER used abbreviations as the main means of communication. I write out the words I’m using, like I would in a letter. If you have trouble doing this .. take a typing or keyboarding class! I can type fast enough that while you’re typing LOL I can type Laugh Out Loud in less time :)

Lynn