Question: Give an example of a DETAILED BOTANICAL DESCRIPTION for a plant patent?
From plant patent PP15,908
Plants of the cultivar Didi Salmon Two have not been observed under all possible environmental conditions. The phenotype may vary somewhat with variations in environment such as temperature and light intensity, without, however, any variance in genotype. The aforementioned photographs and following observations and measurements describe plants grown in Gilroy, Calif., under commercial practice in a fiberglass-covered greenhouse during the late spring with day temperatures about 27 to 29° C., night temperatures about 16 to 18° C. and light levels about 2,000 foot-candles. Rooted young plants were planted in containers and had been growing for about five months when the photographs and the description were taken. In the following description, color references are made to The Royal Horticultural Society Colour Chart, 1995 Edition, except where general terms of ordinary dictionary significance are used.
- Botanical classification: Impatiens walleriana cultivar Didi Salmon Two.
- Female parent. - Proprietary Impatiens walleriana selection identified as code number IW-522-1, not patented.
- Male parent. - Proprietary Impatiens walleriana selection identified as code number IDT-32-49, not patented.
- Type cutting. - Terminal cuttings.
- Time to initiate roots. - About 10 to 21 days at 22 to 23° C.
- Time to produce a rooted young plant.-About 28 days at 16 to 24° C.
- Root description. - Fine, fleshy; white in color.]
- Rooting habit. - Freely branching.
- Plant description:
- General appearance. - Compact, upright, outwardly spreading and mounded plant habit.
- Growth and branching habit. - Vigorous and freely-branching growth habit with about eight basal branches; lateral branches potentially forming at every node; dense and bushy growth. Pinching enhances branching.
- Plant height.-About 20 cm.
- Plant diameter or spread. - About 45 cm.
- Lateral branches. - Length: About 24 cm. Diameter: About 1.2 cm.
- Internode length: About 3 cm. Texture: Smooth, glabrous. Color: 146B with splotches of 185B.
- Foliage description. - Arrangement: Alternate, simple. Length: About 6.3 cm. Width: About 4.3 cm. Shape: Elliptical. Apex: Acuminate. Base: Attenuate. Margin: Crenate with sparse ciliation. Texture, upper and lower surfaces: Smooth, glabrous. Venation pattern: Pinnate. Color: Developing and fully expanded foliage, upper surface: Darker than 147A. Developing and fully expanded foliage, lower surface: 147B. Venation, upper surface: 147A to 147B. Venation, lower surface: 147B. Petiole: Length: About 1.8 cm. Diameter: About 3 mm. Texture, upper and lower surfaces: Smooth, glabrous. Color: 147B.
- Flower description:
- Flower type and habit. - Numerous and consistently double flowers. Flower buds open similar to a rose in fullness; flowers rounded in shape. Flowers arise from leaf axils. Freely flowering, usually about 25 flowers and flower buds per lateral branch. Flowers positioned above the foliage and typically face upright or outward. Flowers last about five to seven days under greenhouse conditions. Flowers not persistent. Flowers not fragrant.
- Natural flowering season. - Flowering is continuous through the spring and summer.
- Flower size. - Diameter: About 4.2 cm. Depth: About 1.7 cm.
- Flower buds (at stage of showing color).-Length: About 1.6 cm.
- Diameter: About 1.2 cm. Shape: Ovoid. Color: 52D.
- Petals. - Quantity/arrangement: About 24 per flower; imbricate. Length, outermost petals: About 2.3 cm. Width, outermost petals: About 1.8 cm. Length, innnermost petals: About 7 mm. Width, innermost petals: About 6 mm. Shape: Obovate to cordate. Apex: Rounded and occasionally emarginate. Base: Acute. Margin: Entire. Texture, upper and lower surfaces: Smooth, glabrous. Color: When opening, upper surface: Brighter than 50A. When opening, lower surface: 50B to 50C. Fully opened, upper surface: More rose than 43C. Fully opened, lower surface: 50C.
- Sepals. - Quantity/arrangement: Five in a single whorl; one modified into an elongated spur. Calyx length: About 1 cm. Calyx diameter: About 1 cm. Shape: Elliptic. Apex: Acute. Margin: Entire. Texture, upper and lower surfaces: Smooth, glabrous. Color, upper and lower surfaces: Close to 144A. Spur length: About 3 cm. Spur diameter: At flower, about 2 mm; at apex, less than 1 mm. Spur color: 144A to 144B.
- Peduncles. - Length: About 2.7 cm. Diameter: About 2 mm. Angle: About 45° from vertical. Strength: Strong. Texture: Smooth, glabrous. Color: 144A.
- Reproductive organs. - None observed.
- Seed/fruit. - None observed.
- Disease/pest resistance: Plants of the new Impatiens have not been observed to be resistant to pathogens and pests common to Impatiens.