Lourdes Cruz - Filipino Biochemist:
Doctor Lourdes Cruz has made scientific contributions to the biochemistry field of conotoxins, in particular the toxins of the venom of the marine snail Conus geographus. Lourdes Cruz documented the biochemical characterization of the homologous highly toxic monomeric peptides with internal disulfide bonds including: Conotoxin GI, Conotoxin GIA and Conotoxin GII. Lourdes Cruz has helped develop conotoxins for the purpose biochemical probes for examining the activities of the human brain.
Lourdes Cruz has published over one hundred and twenty papers in her field of study.
Lourdes Cruz - Degrees:
- B.S. Chemistry, University of the Philippines, 1962
- M.S. Biochemistry, University of Iowa, 1966
- Ph.D. Biochemistry, University of Iowa, 1968
Lourdes Cruz - Awards:
- NAST Outstanding Young Scientist Award 1981
- NRCP Achievement Award in Chemistry 1982
- Outstanding Women in the Nation's Service Award (Biochemistry) 1986
- National Scientist 2008
Also known as:
Lourdes Jansuy Cruz
Rural Livelihood Incubator:
Lourdes Cruz established the Rural Livelihood Incubator in 2001. The program offers jobs and training in an effort to decrease poverty for rural Filipinos.