Printing - Technical Reference & History
- Color Printing in the Nineteenth Century
Techniques and examples, references to inventors included.
- A Technical Dictionary of Printmaking
- What Is A Print?
- Technique of Intaglio Photogravure Printmaking
Technical information on etching - ultraviolet exposure - etched plates - etching papers and Japanese washi - ink and press. A well written explanation of how-to print. The history of photogravure printmaking.
Typesetting - Technical Reference & History
- A Capsule History of Typesetting
From the use of wooden blocks in the 1400's to laser technology.
- Type Museum
Here you will find information about the history and practice of typesetting.
- Paige Typesetter
A competitor to the linotype machine patented by Ottmar Mergenthaler; was the Mark Twain-backed Paige Typesetter.
- Louis Marius Moyroud and Rene Alphonse Higonnet developed the first practical phototypesetting machine.
Newspapers - Technical Reference & History
- Timeline of the Newspaper Industry
A history of newspaper typeface design.
- Brief History of Newspapers
A history of newspapers, covering 500 years.
- Printing a Newspaper: 1692-1792
- Printing a Newspaper: 1792-1892
- Printing a Newspaper: 1892-1992
- Comic Books