- Benjamin Franklin invents the lightening rod.
- Samuel Johnson publishes the first English language dictionary on April 15th after nine years of writing. In the preface Samuel Johnson wrote, "I am not so lost in lexicography as to forget that words are the daughters of earth, and that things are the sons of heaven."
- John Campbell invents the sextant.
- Dolland invents a chromatic lens.
- Englishmen, John Harrison invents the navigational clock or marine chronometer for measuring longitude.
- James Hargreaves invents the spinning jenny.
- Joseph Priestley invents carbonated water - soda water.
- Richard Arkwright patents the spinning frame.
- James Watt invents an improved steam engine.
- Georges Louis Lesage patents the electric telegraph.
- Alexander Cummings invents the flush toilet.
- Jacques Perrier invents a steamship.
- David Bushnell invents a submarine.
- Samuel Crompton invents the spinning mule.
- Benjamin Franklin invents bi-focal eyeglasses.
- Gervinus invents the circular saw.
- Louis Sebastien demonstrates the first parachute.
- Benjamin Hanks patents the self-winding clock.
- The Montgolfier brothers invent the hot-air balloon.
- Englishmen, Henry Cort invents the steel roller for steel production.
- Andrew Meikle invents the threshing machine.
- Joseph Bramah invents the safety lock.
- Edmund Cartwright invents the power loom.
- Claude Berthollet invents chemical bleaching.
- Charles Augustus Coulomb invents the torsion balance.
- Jean Pierre Blanchard invents a working parachute.
- John Fitch invents a steamboat.
- The guillotine is invented.
- The United States issued its first patent to William Pollard of Philadelphia for a machine that roves and spins cotton.
- John Barber invents the gas turbine. Early bicycles invented in Scotland.
- Eli Whitney patents the cotton gin.
- Welshmen, Philip Vaughan invents ball bearings.
- Francois Appert invents the preserving jar for food.
- Edward Jenner creates a smallpox vaccination.
- Wittemore patents a carding machine.
- A British inventor, Henry Maudslay invents the first metal or precision lathe.
- The first soft drink invented.
- Aloys Senefelder invents lithography.
- Alessandro Volta invents the battery.
- Louis Robert invents the Fourdrinier Machine for sheet paper making.