- Henry Blair patents a corn planter, he is the second black person to receive a U.S. patent.
- Jacob Perkins invents an early refrigerator type device - an ether ice machine.
- Englishmen, Henry Talbot invents calotype photography.
- Solymon Merrick patents the wrench.
- Englishmen, Francis Pettit Smith invents the propeller.
- Charles Babbage invents a mechanical calculator.
- Francis Pettit Smith and John Ericcson co-invent the propellor.
- Samuel Colt invented the first revolver.
- Samual Morse invents Morse Code.
- American, Thaddeus Fairbanks invents platform scales.
- American, Charles Goodyear invents rubber vulcanization.
- Frenchmen, Louis Daguerre and J.N. Niepce co-invent Daguerreotype photography.
- Kirkpatrick Macmillan invents a bicycle.
- Welshmen, Sir William Robert Grove conceives of the first hydrogen fuel cell.
- Englishmen, John Herschel invents the blueprint.
- Samuel Slocum patents the stapler.
- Joseph Dart builds the first grain elevator.
- Alexander Bain of Scotland, invents the facsimile.
- Englishmen, John Mercer invents mercerized cotton.
- American, Elias Howe invents a sewing machine.
- Robert William Thomson patents the first vulcanised rubber pneumatic tire.
- Dr. William Morton, a Massachusetts dentist, is the first to use anesthesia for tooth extraction.
- Hungarian, Ignaz Semmelweis invents antisceptics.
- Waldo Hanchett patents the dental chair.
- Walter Hunt invents the safety pin.
- Joel Houghton was granted the first patent for a dishwasher.
- Isaac Singer invents a sewing machine.
- Jean Bernard Léon Foucault invents gyroscope.
- Henri Giffard builds an airship powered by the first aircraft engine - an unsuccessful design.
- George Cayley invents a manned glider.
- John Tyndall demonstrates the principles of fiber optics.
- Isaac Singer patents the sewing machine motor.
- Georges Audemars invents rayon.
- Louis Pasteur invents pasteurisation.
- George Pullman invents the Pullman Sleeping Car for train travel.
- Hamilton Smith patents the rotary washing machine.
- Jean Lenoir invents an internal combustion engine.
- Elisha Otis patents elevator safety brakes, creating a safer elevator.
- Pierre Michaux invents a bicycle.
- Linus Yale invents the Yale lock or cylinder lock.