- Christopher Scholes invents the first practical and modern typewriter.
- George Westinghouse invents air brakes.
- Robert Mushet invents tungsten steel.
- J P Knight invents traffic lights.
- J.S. Risdon patents the metal windmill.
- A.M. Ward issues the first mail-order catalog.
- Joseph Glidden invents barbed wire.
- American, C. Goodyear, Jr. invents the shoe welt stitcher.
- Alexander Graham Bell patents the telephone.
- Nicolaus August Otto invents the first practical four-stroke internal combustion engine.
- Melville Bissell patents the carpet sweeper.
- Thomas Edison invents the ylinder phonograph or tin foil phonograph.
- Eadweard Muybridge invents the first moving pictures.
- Sir Joseph Wilson Swan was the first person to invent a practical and longer-lasting electic lightbulb.
- The British Perforated Paper Company invents a form of toilet paper.
- Englishmen, John Milne invents the modern seismograph.
- Alexander Graham Bell invents the first crude metal detector.
- David Houston patents the roll film for cameras.
- Edward Leveaux patents the automatic player piano.
- George Eastman patents paper-strip photographic film.
- Frenchmen, H. de Chardonnet invents rayon.
- Lewis Edson Waterman invents the first practical fountain pen.
- James Ritty invents the first working, mechanical cash register.
- Charles Parson patents the steam turbine.
- Harim Maxim invents the machine gun.
- Karl Benz invents the first practical automobile to be powered by an internal-combustion engine.
- Gottlieb Daimler invents the first gas-engined motorcycle.
- Josephine Cochrane invents the dishwasher.
- Gottlieb Daimler builds the world's first four-wheeled motor vehicle.
- John Pemberton invents Coca Cola.
- German, Heinrich Hertz invents radar.
- Rowell Hodge patents barbed wire.
- Emile Berliner invents the gramophone.
- F.E. Muller and Adolph Fick invent the first wearable contact lenses.
- Marvin Stone patents the spiral winding process to manufacture the first paper drinking straws.
- John Boyd Dunlop patents a commercially successful pneumatic tire.
- Nikola Tesla invents the AC motor and transformer.
- Joshua Pusey invents the matchbook.
- Sir James Dewar and Sir Frederick Abel co-invent Cordite - a type of smokeless gunpowder.
- Jesse W. Reno invents the escalator.
- Rudolf Diesel invents the diesel-fueled internal combustion engine.
- Sir James Dewar invents the Dewar flask or vacuum flask.
- Lumiere Brothers invent a portable motion-picture camera, film processing unit and projector called the Cinematographe. Lumiere Brothers using their Cinematographe are the first to present a projected motion picture to an audience of more that one person.
- American, H. O'Sullivan invents the rubber heel.
- Edwin Prescott patents the roller coaster.
- Rudolf Diesel receives patent #608,845 for an "internal combustion engine" the Diesel engine.
- I.R. Johnson patents the bicycle frame.
- John Thurman patents the motor-driven vacuum cleaner.