Technology, science, and inventions have progressed at an accelerated rate during the hundred years of the 20th century, more so than any other century.
We began the 20th century with the infancy of airplanes, automobiles, and radio, when those inventions dazzled us with their novelty and wonder.
We end the 20th century with spaceships, computers, cell phones, and the wireless Internet all being technologies we can take for granted.
- 1900 to 1909 1910 to 1919 1920 to 1929
- 1930 to 1939 1940 to 1949 1950 to 1959
- 1960 to 1969 1970 to 1979 1980 to 1989
- 1990 to 1999 2000 onwards
- The zeppelin invented by Count Ferdinand von Zeppelin.
- Charles Seeberger redesigned Jesse Reno's escalator and invented the modern escalator.
- King Camp Gillette invents the double-edged safety razor.
- The first radio receiver, successfully received a radio transmission.
- Hubert Booth invents a compact and modern vacuum cleaner.
- Willis Carrier invents the air conditioner.
- The lie detector or polygraph machine is invented by James Mackenzie.
- The birth of the Teddy Bear.
- George Claude invented neon light.
- Edward Binney and Harold Smith co-invent crayons.
- Bottle-making machinery invented by Michael J. Owens.
- The Wright brothers invent the first gas motored and manned airplane.
- Mary Anderson invents windshield wipers.
- William Coolidge invents ductile tungsten used in lightbulbs.
- Teabags invented by Thomas Suillivan.
- Benjamin Holt invents a tractor.
- John A Fleming invents a vacuum diode or Fleming valve.
- Albert Einstein published the Theory of Relativity and made famous the equation, E = mc2.
- Mary Anderson receives a patent for windshield wipers.
- William Kellogg invents Cornflakes.
- Lewis Nixon invents the first sonar like device.
- Lee Deforest invents electronic amplifying tube (triode).
- Leo Baekeland invents the first synthetic plastic called Bakelite.
- Color photography invented by Auguste and Louis Lumiere.
- The very first piloted helicopter was invented by Paul Cornu.
- The gyrocompass invented by Elmer A. Sperry.
- Cellophane invented by Jacques E. Brandenberger.
- Model T first sold.
- J W Geiger and W Müller invent the geiger counter.
- Fritz Haber invents the Haber Process for making artificial nitrates.[/liu]
- Instant coffee invented by G. Washington.