Orville Wright (left) and Edwin H. Sines, neighbor and boyhood friend, filing frames in the
back of the Wright bicycle shop circa 1897.
Prints and Photographs Division, Library of Congress
In 1892, Orville and Wilbur open a bicycle shop, the Wright Cycle Company. They remained in the bicycle manufacturing and repair business until 1907. The business gsve them the funds necessary to carry out their early aeronautical experiments.